Wines for the BBQ
Choosing appropriate wines for your BBQ is pretty easy and should follow a few simple guidelines.
Generally speaking BBQ food flavours are big and bold, it’s likely that meats will have been marinated, or coated in herbs and spice mix. Whatever has been thrown on the grill will most probably be accompanied by various salads, and it’s the dressings used which can sometimes compete with enjoyment of the wines being opened. If the wine is too dry or has racy acidity, it may not be the best choice as it will "clash" with a vinegary dressing.
So go for wines with bold, rich and more obvious flavours, and nothing too dry. Wines with juiciness and depth, that can also be enjoyed on their own are the one’s to go for.
After all the BBQ chef cannot be rushed and there may be some waiting involved!
BBQ’s often involve quite a few people and can often turn into small parties, therefore the following 2 sparklings and 6 reds are well priced and offer great value. All these wines can be ordered here.
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOC "Cesiro" from Podere della Bruciata
- Nero d'Avola DOC "Respiro" from Valdibella
- Etna Rosso DOC from Cantina Malopasso
- Aglianico del Vulture DOC "Physis" from Ripanero
- Primitivo DOCG "Dionysos" from De Quarto
- Rosso di Montepulciano DOC "Ermete" from Podere della Bruciata
- Conegliano Prosecco Superiore DOCG brut "Matiù" from L'Antica Quercia
- Conegliano Prosecco Superiore DOCG extra dry "Ariò" from L'Antica Quercia
Image credits: Vincent Keiman